Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Creating a Memory Card

Today, I'm sharing a card created with the new March Main Kit from My Creative Scrapbook and sharing details on what inspired this memory card from my recent trip to upstate New York.






Although there are so many wonderful products from various companies in the March Main Kit, my card features specifically stickers, die cuts and scrapbook papers from the Pebbles Inc Simple Life product line included in the kit.







Have you ever created a memory card to send someone?  It's like a scrapbook layout, but on a much smaller scale.  And, shareable!  Creating a memory card with someone who has shared a journey with you is a wonderful way to re-connect over shared experiences.  Gifting a memory and re-discovering those joyful moments when your friend or loved one opens their happy mail is priceless.


Today, I'm telling a brief story and explaining the meaning behind this card.  New York is my home state, however I've lived in the South for the majority of my life and it's where I call home now.  My father's side of the family hails from upstate New York and it's where many of my relatives still live.  It's been 16 years since I last journeyed to New York when my father passed away.  Recently, I traveled there again, to honor the passing of my Uncle, my dad's older brother.  It was a bittersweet trip, filled with the treasures of spending time with loved ones, mourning our loss and traveling down memory lane.









Traveling through the town where I once lived, I knew I was home when silos began to appear.  In my childhood memories, I always connect the New York countryside to farming country and silos.  So, of course, I placed a handmade silo to the left of my card.  My sister and I made quite the fuss when we spotted our first silo!








My sister and I also made a point to hit up several diners in Syracuse, including The Gem where we had our last family meal, the day that I left to return home to Alabama.  The curved arrow on my card serves as a reminder of those diners and the neon signs often associated with them.  By the way, I highly recommend this diner if you're ever in the area.  Give the Breakfast Cheeseburger a try.









Next, I took a tag sticker and some scrapbook paper and fashioned a little house.  One day, the entire clan converged on my Uncle Paul's house in Chittenango.  The countryside was beautiful and I couldn't help but take some time outside and capture some beautiful shots. 








The little house on my card was inspired, in part, by my Uncle's home.  This shot was snapped on the back corner of his house.  It also received a re-tweet by our local weather meteorologist, James Spann!  The blooms on my card are stickers and could be found sprouting here and there, despite the snow.  They were trimmed to size for my card.







The last focal point of my card is the fence.  I cut up some of the Pebbles woodgrain paper to fashion fence posts and used the wordy strips as part of the fence.  The words are so appropriate and speak volumes of how I felt about my time in New York with my family.  You'll find that strip of wording attached to the top or bottom edge of one of the scrapbook papers included in the main kit.  The white cardstock was from my own supply and I trimmed it into snowy slopes and drew in stitch lines.









Here's a few memorable shots that I will eventually turn into scrapbook pages, including my grandparents old farm.  I wanted so badly to knock on the door of the current owners to wander through my grandparents old house.  This is my grandparents old barn which has been updated a bit with additional modern conveniences.








This is a pretty shot from the backside of my Uncle's house in the country.  I know that many folks think of New York City when talking about New York, but the region where I grew up is full of farming country.








Lastly, a bittersweet photo of me and my sister, taken on the edge of town in Cato, NY where much of my formulative childhood took place.  The very top of the hill, behind the welcome sign, is where my Father and Uncle are now buried.  Although this trip was filled with sadness, it was also filled with joyful memories, quality time with my dear cousins and loved ones that I haven't seen in far too many years. 







Thank you so much for stopping by and sharing these wonderful memories with me.  I hope you will enjoy creating memory cards of your own, to share with the special people in your life.  This card is already winging it's way to my sister in Maryland.  She's a sentimental soul, like myself, and I know she will love it.  Although the March Main Kit has many, many wonderful products that translate so well for Spring, I'm happy that it also offers duality for other seasons as well.  Sometimes, you just need to look beyond the obvious and find the hidden treasures in a collection.  I hope you'll consider joining the My Creative Scrapbook kit club.  I am thrilled with my kit and I know you will love it as well.  Be sure and visit the MCS blog for daily inspiration and the MCS Inspiration Central Facebook Group as well, where you can share your creations with the various kits.  There are four to choose from, guaranteed to satisfy whatever crafty cravings you have.  Don't forget the sketch challenge too.  You have just a few days left to enter the current challenge.  Good luck! 

Thanks again to My Creative Scrapbook for allowing me to guest design cards for them this month!

Terri














#mycreativescrapbook #kitclub #scrapbook #cards #pebblesinc #wavingmywand #march #mainkit #DIY #craft #memories #memorycard #cre8time #simplelife #jenhadfield




No comments:

Post a Comment

(Ignore the robot caption feature and just click submit for your comments. It's a blogger glitch) I appreciate each and every comment. Thank you so much!